Regulated Professions and Trades

Many Canadians work in regulated occupations. Regulated occupations include professions and trades. An occupation is regulated in order to protect the health and safety of the public. Examples include nurses, engineers, electricians, and teachers.

In Manitoba, as in all provinces of Canada, there are legislated regulatory bodies responsible for establishing the entry requirements for the occupations under their mandate, for recognizing education, training, and experience, and for issuing licences required to work.

For example, to work as a nurse, your education and experience must first be evaluated by one of the professional nursing regulatory bodies in Manitoba before you are licensed (registered) to work as a registered nurse (RN), licensed practical nurse (LPN), or registered psychiatric nurse (RPN).

The qualification recognition (QR) process varies for each profession and trade. While some steps in the QR process can be completed outside of Manitoba/Canada, the process is typically completed in Canada. When you apply to a regulatory body, you will be required to meet certain criteria. Examples include:

  • providing documentation of professional qualifications and work history;
  • providing language proficiency test results (which may differ from those required for immigration);
  • completing additional studies if the regulatory body identifies gaps in education/training;
  • performing a supervised internship/work experience or clinical placement; and
  • writing a series of examinations and/or a final entry-to-practice examination.

The QR process leading to professional registration (licensure or certification) can be very complex. It requires a commitment of time, effort, and money. Being well-informed will help you in planning your career path in Manitoba.

To begin:

  • Read the Question & Answer Guide to Regulated Professions and Trades to gain a better understanding of QR in Manitoba.
  • Research your profession or trade using the links and fact sheets listed below.
  • Review information on financial supports to learn about the types of financial supports which may be available to you as you pursue your profession, trade, or related occupation in Manitoba.
  • After you arrive in Manitoba, register at Manitoba Start to gain the support of career counsellors who are knowledgeable in QR processes and career planning.

Regulated professions

While there are many regulated professions in Canada, the most common regulated professions in Manitoba are listed below.

Each profession links to the regulatory body responsible for regulating the profession in Manitoba.

For some professions, a fact sheet has been developed by the Province of Manitoba, Immigration Pathways Division. Each fact sheet directs users to information, tools, and resources to help better understand the professional registration process in Manitoba.

Note: The fact sheets serve as a guide and will be updated periodically. When researching information on professional registration processes, always refer to the regulator to ensure accurate, up-to-date information.

Occupation NameRegulatory BodyFact Sheet
AccountantChartered Professional Accountants of Manitoba (CPA)Link
AgrologistAgrologists ManitobaLink
ArchitectManitoba Association of Architects (MAA)Link
Audiologist and speech-language pathologistCollege of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Manitoba (CASLPM)N/A
Child care workerEarly Learning and Child Care ProgramLink
ChiropractorManitoba Chiropractors AssociationN/A
Dental hygienistCollege of Dental Hygienists of Manitoba (CDHM)N/A
DentistManitoba Dental Association (MDA)Link
DenturistDenturist Association of ManitobaN/A
DietitianCollege of Dietitians of ManitobaLink
EngineerEngineers Geoscientists ManitobaLink
Engineering/applied science technician and technologistCertified Technicians and Technologists Association of Manitoba (CTTAM)Link
GeoscientistEngineers Geoscientists ManitobaLink
Land surveyorAssociation of Manitoba Land Surveyors (AMLS)N/A
LawyerLaw Society of Manitoba (LSM)Link
Medical laboratory technologistCollege of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Manitoba (CMLTM)Link
MidwifeCollege of Midwives of Manitoba (CMM)N/A
NaturopathManitoba Naturopathic Association (MNA)N/A
Nurse - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba (CLPNM)Link
Nurse - Registered Nurse (RN)College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (CRNM)Link
Nurse - Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (CRPNM)Link
Occupational therapistCollege of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba (COTM)N/A
OpticianOpticians of Manitoba (OOM)N/A
OptometristManitoba Association of Optometrists (MAO)Link
PharmacistCollege of Pharmacists of Manitoba (CPhM)N/A
PhysicianCollege of Physicians & Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM)N/A
PhysiotherapistCollege of Physiotherapists of Manitoba (CPM)Link
PodiatristCollege of Podiatrists of Manitoba (COPOM)N/A
PsychologistPsychological Association of Manitoba (PAM)N/A
Respiratory therapistManitoba Association of Registered Respiratory Therapists (MARRT)N/A
Social workerManitoba College of Social Workers (MCSW)Link
Teacher (K-12)Professional Certification Unit (PCU)Link
VeterinarianManitoba Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA)Link

To learn about an occupation (available jobs, wages, career prospects, skills, job requirements, etc.) in Manitoba, visit Job Bank. Be sure to select Manitoba as your location.


There are over 55 designated trades in Manitoba. While trades are regulated occupations, only 9 trades have compulsory certification, meaning you must either be a registered apprentice or journeyperson to work in them:

NOC 2021 CodeTradeTrade Profile
72200Construction ElectricianLink
72500Crane and Hoisting Equipment OperatorLink
72201Industrial ElectricianLink
72402Refrigeration and Air Conditioning MechanicLink
72301Sprinkler FitterLink

To obtain journeyperson status in any of the 55+ designated trades in Manitoba, individuals must obtain a certificate of qualification (also referred to as "trades certification"). See the designated trades fact sheet for more information.

To apply to immigrate to Manitoba, Canada, you do not require a certificate of qualification in your trade; however, you must satisfactorily demonstrate that your education/training and work experience make you qualified to work in your trade in Manitoba.

There are two paths to trades certification: through supervised training called apprenticeship; and, for experienced tradespeople, by challenging the trades qualification exam.

Foreign nationals who write and pass the qualification exam in their trade will be issued a certificate of qualification by the Manitoba government trades office, Apprenticeship Manitoba. To write the exam and be issued a certificate of qualification you require a Manitoba address.

This is the three-step procedure for applying for a certificate of qualification in your trade:

  1. Determine if you have the work experience, training, knowledge and skills required to be eligible to write the qualification exam by reviewing the work experience form for your trade at Apprenticeship Manitoba.
  2. Submit to Apprenticeship Manitoba your trades qualification application (along with your completed work experience form, employer letter(s) and copies of previous trades certification) only if you meet all requirements to write the qualification exam in your trade.
  3. Wait for a reply from Apprenticeship Manitoba (application review typically takes about six weeks). Approval of your application means you are eligible to write the exam.

Non-regulated occupations

For non-regulated occupations, there are no set requirements and there is no legal requirement to obtain a licence or certificate. Employers will set the required standards.