After You Arrive

Important first steps

  • Apply for a Social Insurance Number. The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.
  • Apply for Manitoba Health Care Coverage (a Manitoba Health Card) for you and all members of your family.
  • Visit the bank or credit union where you plan to do your banking. If you have already transferred money to your new bank/credit union, drop by to introduce yourself and, if necessary, to get advice on managing your money.
  • See the Quick Links below to find a variety of services that you will need as you settle
  • If your destination is Winnipeg, visit Manitoba Start at 271 Portage Avenue in downtown Winnipeg. It is an essential part of your settlement pathway. Manitoba Start provides a wide range of employment and career supports and information about newcomer services.
  • If your destination is outside Winnipeg, visit a settlement agency near you. For names and locations of agencies both in Winnipeg and across Manitoba, visit our Directory of Services page.

Quick Links

Driving in Manitoba

Resources for Manitoba Residents

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)