Fact Sheet - Teacher

Regulated profession (NOC 2021)
Regulatory bodyProvince of Manitoba - Education and Early Childhood Learning - Professional Certification Unit (PCU)
Teaching certificates
  • Permanent Professional Teaching Certificate
  • Provisional Professional Teaching Certificate (valid for 3 years)
Membership associationsUpon employment in a K-12 Manitoba public school, membership is mandatory in the Manitoba Teachers' Society (MTS) and the employing school division's teachers' association.
Certification processSee PCU - Teaching Certification Application Process for Internationally Educated Teachers.
Credential assessmentThe PCU refers internationally educated applicants to World Education Services (WES) to obtain a WES ICAP (course-by-course) credential evaluation. See PCU - Post-Secondary Education Completed Outside of Canada or the United States of America for more information.
Language proficiencyThere are no English or French language requirements for teacher certification in Manitoba. However, to teach or find other work in the Manitoba public school system, you must be proficient in either English or French.
Academic requirementsThe academic requirements for a teaching certificate are set out in the Teaching Certificates and Qualifications Regulation 115/2015.

If you do not have a Bachelor of Education degree or equivalent, please contact a Manitoba university to discuss entry into a Bachelor of Education program. Below is a list of Manitoba universities offering a Bachelor of Education Program:

Essential skills profileGo to Job Bank - Explore careers by essential skills, search for the occupation via name or NOC code, and view the essential skills profile.
Employment outlookGo to Job Bank - Explore job outlooks, search the occupation name or NOC code, and view employment outlook by provinces and regions across Canada.
Job search toolsTo search job postings for teachers or other school division personnel, visit the websites of Manitoba school divisions and districts.

To search job postings in any occupation, visit Job Bank or Work in Manitoba.
Related occupations/alternate careers (NOC 2021)Below are examples of occupations working with children, youth, or in education settings:

  • 43100 – Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
  • 43109 – Other instructors
  • 42203 – Instructors of persons with disabilities
  • 54100 – Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness
  • 53201 – Coaches
  • 44101 – Home support workers, caregivers and related occupations
  • 42201 – Social and community service workers
  • 14100 – General office support workers
  • 45100 – Student monitors, crossing guards and related occupations
  • 73301 – Bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators

While each occupation will have its own set of employment requirements, none are regulated occupations in Manitoba and therefore do not have certification/registration requirements with a professional regulatory body. Employers often, however, require applicants to have job-specific experience, training, and/or certification. Always check the hiring criteria carefully. Hiring criteria is set by the employer and will vary from employer to employer.
Last updated December 2022.


  1. This fact sheet serves as a guide and will be updated periodically. When researching information on professional registration processes, always refer to the regulator to ensure accurate, up-to-date information.
  2. The Government of Canada updates the National Occupational Classification (NOC) every five years. At present, users can access four versions of NOC (2021, 2016, 2011, and 2006) on the NOC website. When searching an occupation on the NOC website, always use the most recent version (NOC 2021).
  3. The regulatory body is the only organization that can grant entry into a regulated occupation via registration and the issuing of a licence or certificate. Other organizations (e.g., national bodies, regional bodies, membership associations, etc.) are not regulatory bodies.