After You Arrive

Important First Steps

  • Apply for a Social Insurance Number. The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.
  • Apply for Manitoba Health Care Coverage (a Manitoba Health Card) for you and all members of your family.
  • Visit the bank or credit union where you plan to do your banking. If you have already transferred money to your new bank/credit union, drop by to introduce yourself and, if necessary, to get advice on managing your money.
  • See the Quick Links below to find a variety of services that you will need as you settle
  • If your destination is Winnipeg, visit Manitoba Start at 271 Portage Avenue in downtown Winnipeg. It is an essential part of your settlement pathway. Manitoba Start provides a wide range of employment and career supports and information about newcomer services.
  • If your destination is outside Winnipeg, visit a settlement agency near you. For names and locations of agencies both in Winnipeg and across Manitoba, visit our Directory of Services page.

Quick Links:

Driving in Manitoba

Resources for Manitoba Residents

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)