Work Permit Support Letters

If you are a provincial nominee, the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) may issue you a work permit support letter (WPSL) that will allow you to apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a work permit.

If you are already working in Manitoba with a temporary work permit and need to renew your work permit, request a WPSL at least two months before your current work permit expires. If you have obtained a new job offer from a Manitoba employer, you may also request a WPSL to apply for a work permit.

To request a WPSL, please use the Skilled Worker Webform.


The issuance of a WPSL is at the sole discretion of the MPNP. The MPNP may not issue a WPSL if the MPNP is not satisfied with the sincerity of the employer, the employment conditions or your ability to economically establish in Manitoba. Your employer must be incorporated or registered by or under an act of the legislature of a province or the Parliament of Canada and operating as a business that has an established production capability, plant or place of business in Manitoba. Your employer must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the MPNP that they are an established business with an ability to offer you full-time and long-term employment in Manitoba. If you are not issued a WPSL and seek other work permit options, please see the IRCC website.

Your employer must register on the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Employer Portal and pay the compliance fee before you are issued your work permit support letter. They should do this at the same time you apply to the MPNP if your work permit is valid for six months or less.

Manitoba Employment Standards

Neither a recruiter nor an employer can ever charge or collect a fee (directly or indirectly) from you for your job in Manitoba.

Manitoba Employment Standards administers laws on minimum wages, hours of work, holidays and other workplace entitlements and responsibilities. The program enforces the Employment Standards Code, the Construction Industry Wages Act, the Remembrance Day Act, the Worker Recruitment and Protection Act, and the Retail Businesses Holiday Closing Act. It also investigates complaints about violations of these laws.

If you have any questions or concerns about the terms of your employment, contact Employment Standards for further information.