Work in Manitoba Temporarily

The information on this webpage is for foreign nationals seeking temporary employment in Manitoba, and for visiting workers currently employed in Manitoba with valid work permits issued by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

For most temporary jobs you must get a work permit from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). For complete information and to learn how to apply, visit IRCC > Working temporarily in Canada.

Before you can apply for a work permit your employer must register with Manitoba Labour - Employment Standards and, in most cases, obtain prior approval for foreign worker recruitment from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).

Visiting workers who have been offered a full-time, permanent job from the Manitoba employer for whom they've worked at least six months may be eligible to stay to live and work in Manitoba with Canadian permanent resident status through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program.

Need help?

Foreign nationals who want to work in Manitoba in order to become eligible to apply to immigrate through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) may look for employment opportunities advertised by employers in the Manitoba section of Job Bank.

  • There is no application intake period for skilled workers employed in Manitoba with temporary or post-graduation work permits; MPNP Online accepts applications year-round from qualified skilled workers whose connection is Manitoba Employment.

Manitoba-destined immigrants – that is, Provincial Nominees and people approved under federal immigration programs – can start their job search while still in their home country to identify and address gaps in their qualifications, and find job openings in Manitoba that suit their skill and experience profiles.

New Manitobans who are not yet employed (that is, immigrants who recently arrived in the province with Canadian permanent resident status) can take advantage of orientation, referral and job-readiness programs at Manitoba Start in downtown Winnipeg, or find the immigrant service near you.

Manitoba Start and similar programs throughout the province offer advice and assistance, and can refer you to a range of services for employment readiness, workplace communications and culture, job-matching and, for newcomers seeking entry into regulated occupations, funding and "bridging" (education) programs.

Know your rights

Temporary foreign workers in Manitoba are protected by law.

As a visitor you have the same rights and responsibilities in the workplace as other Manitobans.

  • Manitoba has a law called The Worker Recruitment and Protection Act. Employers must be registered with the government before they can hire temporary foreign workers, and recruiters must have a licence. A recruiter or employer cannot charge you money to get a job.
  • As a temporary foreign worker, you have the same rights as all Manitobans to safe and fair working conditions. Manitoba Employment Standards sets the rules of the workplace. You have the right to report violations.
  • If your work permit is for one year or longer you have access to free medical care from Manitoba Health.
  • In the case of workplace injury, you may be covered by the Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba.
  • Your employer is required to meet all of the conditions set by Service Canada when the employer applied for permission to recruit and hire foreign workers.
  • You have the right to quit your job. In most cases you must give your employer notice. You may choose to find a new job with a different employer. However, you must apply to change your work permit.
  • Employers and recruiters cannot force you to return home if your employment contract is terminated before the end of your work permit or if you decide to find a different job.
  • You may apply to extend your permit, change the conditions or to correct problems with your status. For more information, visit IRCC.
  • Your spouse or common-law partner may be able to accompany you to Manitoba and may be able to get work permits. For more information, visit IRCC.

For more information

If you have any questions about the rights of TFWs and the rules that visiting workers and employers must follow visit IRCC: Understand your rights – foreign workers or contact:

Manitoba Employment Standards
Phone: 204-945-3352 (24 hours)
Toll-free: 1-800-821-4307